No Patterns Needed - Deep V Tunic

Monday, September 19, 2016

I've been sitting on my copy of Rosie Martin's No Patterns Needed for quite a while now. I mean this metaphorically of course, but there are a couple of reasons why, including making for other people, a work trip away (to Chile - how lucky am I?!) and just general slow sewing progress. The book is by far one of the most aesthetically pleasing and well-styled collection of patterns I've ever had the pleasure of owning, and it was the stylish Deep V Tunic that I chose to pull me out of my sewing rut.
No Patterns Needed Deep V Tunic
I bought fabric from the Abakhan grab bins - a shade of pale blue and a shade of grey-blue, inspired by one of the variations Rosie offers. I'm not really sure what sort of fabric it is, I only know that they were lumped in with the satin, but they're not satin. Whatever they are, they're both soft, mid-weight and have a decent drape.

My favourite variation of the tunic and fabric choices
I always lack motivation with tracing patterns and cutting out fabric, preferring that actual 'make' by far, so the book provided a really refreshing take on that whole part of the process. Taking the measurements needed and using these as the basis to form the pattern pieces - rather than fitting in with a size chart - meant that I felt a lot more 'involved' in the make from the very start, if that makes sense.
My workings out, based on my measurements
All of the patterns in the book are based around the concept of either a triangle, rectangle or circle. If you hadn't already guessed it from the above drawing, the Deep V Tunic is in the rectangle section and is made up of just that, with the exception of the back neck facing, which is made using a guide garment. Its cool to see the top come together from the just simple rectangles to form a really interestingly shaped garment. Also, check out this one from &Other Stories which is very similar in design - but with a fairly hefty £65 price tag. I think the neck/collar detail would be pretty easy to replicate using No Patterns Needed too.

Similar styles in the shops - this one's from &Other Stories
The only bit I had difficulty with was getting the placket to sit neatly at the bottom, but other than that, it's really straightforward. The instructions are thorough and the illustrations and pictures are really helpful.


The whole challenge to make things a bit differently was what made the project so fun - you don't have to cut all your pattern pieces out at the start, or do things in the prescribed 'way'. Its not quite my usual style, but I'm really enjoying wearing it - tucked in more often than not, which is a bit of a shame as I love the front seam opening. I'm not ready to abandon patterns just yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to trying out other projects from No Patterns Needed!


Has anyone else had success with No Patterns Needed? I've been eyeing up the Four Slice Sweater, the Drip Drape Skirt and the Insert Skirt from the cover too...

Stay in touch!



You Might Also Like

15 comments

  1. Classy! Would you mind me sharing any of your sewing projects on Sassy Sewing Bees in the future? I link to your post and let you know when, on the post in question . https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes absolutely - I'd be happy for you to share my sewing projects on Sassy Sewing Bees anytime :) I've just liked you on Facebook! Thanks x

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I will let you know when, on the related posts. https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

      Delete
    3. To be shared on SSB today. Thanks for permitting. https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

      Delete
  2. I haven't even heard of the book until now! But I must say that top is very flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's such a great book too - I'd thoroughly recommend checking it out :)

      Delete
  3. I like the colour blocking you used, funky little cap sleeve things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Totally borrowed the colour blocking ideas from the pattern variations in the book. All the projects have such great fabric combos :)

      Delete
  4. This top is beautiful. (I actually like your version more than the version in the book!) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks so much - that really is such a compliment! x

      Delete
  5. love the colour block - really adds to a the look, and also love the way it looks equally good tucked in (where it nearly looks like a wrap blouse) to wearing loose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eimear! I think I feel more 'me' with it tucked in, but love that it has the front seam opening detail to add interest if I want to wear it loose :) x

      Delete
  6. What a neat concept! I guess that is what fashion designers do all the time, but most of us home sewers don't do it so much. I can see how it would be fun to be "involved" in all of the steps. And it looks like the top turned out really nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! Yeah it really is a cool concept - working in an unfamiliar way was both daunting and quite exciting! x

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

Thanks for visiting!