Homemade vs High Street: Can sewing boost our body confidence?

Friday, April 15, 2016

Today marks two whole years of blogging about making my clothes. It's something that I was initially embarrassed about for fear that what I wrote wouldn't be very good. But I'm proud that I stuck with it; proud that I can look back at all the posts and see my progress (and changing style). I've made some wonderful friends (internet and IRL), found out about hidden gem fabric shops, got involved with a bit of pattern testing, and I'm even trying my hand at some teaching soon!
A recent experience on the high street
So why sew? 
As my handmade output has increased and my shop bought count hits its lowest ever, I've spent a bit of time thinking about the positive impact that dressmaking is having on my life. It's become not just a hobby, but a positive lifestyle choice. Sewing (and blogging about it) not only gives me a clear head and something to focus on, but it's altered my relationship with my body for the better too.


I think the pressure to wear the latest trends, and fit into the standard dress size clothing available on the high street can have a negative impact on people's perception of their body. The high street may tout the 'typical' body shape through their limited offering of sizes, but there's a lot that's 'atypical' about our bodies. If you fall more than a little outside of the high street standard-size measurements, finding clothing you can feel confident and comfortable in becomes even more difficult...

Apologies for the side boob - well, extreme bra exposure. This is a size 14 top from the high street. I accept that my bust measurement is slightly above average, and pick my sizing with this in mind. However I'm absolutely baffled by how this garment could ever modestly cover someone with a 'typical' size 14 bust.
As this one clearly didn't fit, I'm going to try a hack of the Rise Turtleneck. Check out this amazing hack of the Named Beatrix bodice by Mady from The Wardrobe Project for inspiration too!
More often than not, I found shopping to be a demoralising or distressing experience - in one shop I was a size 10, in another, I could barely do up a size 16, the fit was off, nothing looked right... - so that was a big incentive to start making my own clothes. With sewing, I disassociated myself from a dress size or number. Although patterns still list dress sizes, it's the measurements that count, and it's all about the measurements matching you, not you matching them. There's so much more flexibility in sizing when you have the control over it, and no need to feel bad about the perceived 'extra inch' that stops you fitting into this size or that.

Unflattering and ill-fitting 'on trend' high street clothes (going to try making the Seamwork Catarina instead of this) VS...
...A proper fitting handmade outfit (Papercut Patterns Rise Turtleneck and Sew DIY Nita Wrap Skirt)
I still shop on the high street from time to time, but it's rare that I find something that fits as well or as comfortably as something I could make for myself. I appreciate that dressmaking isn't for everybody, and not everyone has the time or means to make their own clothes, so I'm thankful that I am able to. That it has also improved how I feel about myself and my body is an added bonus, and something I could've never foreseen when I started making clothes a few years ago. Maybe this is something that I've only come to realise down the line as I've become more confident in my abilities as a dressmaker.

All in the fit
Making my own clothes has relaxed my attitude towards my figure, and banished any thoughts that certain parts of it are 'difficult' to dress. I understand fit and proportions more, and I make clothing in styles that will suit me, without having to see a model or disproportionate shop mannequin wearing it first. Choosing my clothes has become an exciting and empowering experience because I'm involved in the process from the very start - it's 100%  my choice. I don't need to compromise on fashion, fit or fabric, and I couldn't be happier about it!

Does anyone else find that sewing has a positive impact on the way they view their body?


And if you took the time to read this post, thank you. Two years down the blogging line and it's the encouragement of fellow sewists that keeps me going and sewing :)

As ever...
Stay in touch!



You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. I've reached this point as well , I recently went shopping and couldn't understand the huge amounts of crop tops! Who is spending winter with their midriff on show ? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm don't think I'll ever be ready to make a crop top - unless it's going to meet some incredibly high-waisted bottoms! x

      Delete
  2. Hi Shauni, I couldn't agree more with your comments. I've been reading your blog for a while and I love what you sew. I started to sew a couple of years ago as a reaction to poorly fitting high street clothes. I also hate having to wear the styles and colours which are deemed current trends. Your makes are inspiring and although work and family mean I don't get as much time as I'd like to sew, I know that each time I complete a make I improve my skills and the thrill of wearing something handmade is great. Keep up the great work.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! Thanks so much for your kind words about my makes, I'm really glad you enjoy reading my blog :) I agree - the thrill of wearing something unique and handmade is the best! xx

      Delete
  3. Happy blog birthday, Shauni! I love reading about why people started sewing and how it has benefitted their lives. Personally, I've always been very set on what styles and colours I like to wear, but felt increasingly frustrated that I had to wait x number of years for certain fashions to come around. Once I get my head round all my fitting issues (I have troublesome shoulders) I can make whatever I want and whenever I want and the thought of that is empowering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to also mention that I love your polka dot skirt!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jo ;) Ahhh I could be waiting forever for some things to be in fashion haha. Glad we can make our own trends - and remove that 'problem area' feeling by getting the fit spot on! x

      Delete
  4. couldnt agree more! there are certain style lines and certain colours (and indeed quality fabrics) I prefer, and making my own clothes has reminded me of this rather than buying rtw. It isnt just the fit, its the choice, as well as the quality. I think a lot of rtw stuff, is rather boring also! love your skirt and top btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eimear! Having the choice is one of the best things about sewing :) No need to rely on RTW! x

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your two years of sewing and blogging! Everything you say in this blog post rings true for me, especially sewing having a positive impact on the way I view my body. It's totally changed how I think about myself and made me much more confident in the way I look. Hoorah for sewing! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane! It's so nice to hear that people agree. I've not given up on the high street completely, but it feels so good not to have to rely on it. And I feel so much better when I can make something that fits great - sewing really is the best :) x

      Delete
  6. Absolutely love this post! I've been having similar thoughts on the effect sewing has on body confidence. I feel like I have really got to know my body on my sewing journey and have never felt more comfortable or confident. I'm glad it's had the same effect on you too!
    Lots of love xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela! It's nice to hear that sewing has such positive benefits for other people too :) It's such a great feeling when you don't have to rely on the high street!
      xx

      Delete
  7. This is actually one of my favourite things... when you have been trying on ill-fitting outfits in shops, then you put your own clothes back on and go "ahhhhh". It's such a good feeling to take the ill-fitting clothes off!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh I love that. It's a bit like when you find a great fitting bra and it feels so great you don't want to put the old one back on (not quite up to bra making yet though ha). Anyway, glad to know other people feel the same about sewing and fit! :) x

      Delete
  8. Completely, agree! Although, I'm having somewhat the opposite problem right now. I like all my dresses very fitted in the bodice and I have eaten all my emotions during semester one of teaching so now I have found myself faced with a (rather easy, but not fun) decision: get fit or re-fit. And just saying, there is no better motivation to workout than thinking about refitting all my patterns!

    Thanks for sharing the photos of the WTF dress and your handmade outfit. Never realized how true what you mentioned is for me as well. I almost always stick to my me-mades (and RTW stretchy pants right now lol) because I just feel so much more *comfortable* in them. I don't have to constantly pull up pants because it fits my hips but not my waist, or I don't have to tug on too-short tops. I always felt bad for not wearing things other people bought me, but, they just weren't made *for* me. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh you're right about the motivation for keeping fit! I feel more attached to my handmade items and the way they fit me better than any high street garment, so that is enough incentive for me.
      I was a bit nervous about posting those dodgy RTW photos, so thanks for reading and your kind words :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

Thanks for visiting!